Saturday, April 2, 2022

Lovin’ You

Saturday evening (3/26), I officiated Marcela and Doug’s wedding ceremony at The Hillside Estate, in Cross Roads, Texas. Here are the remarks I shared with them and their guests:

Marcela describes their love story as beginning on an app… and just barely. She says she hesitated before deciding to meet him IRL, because, “he did everything they say not to do… He had only one picture and no information other than that he was from Indiana. But somehow his smile was enough to convince me. Thank goodness!”

Listening to Marcela’s state of mind before this occurred gives this step more context, “Before I met Doug, I was losing hope regarding dating. I was 26, and I found myself eliminating qualities I was looking for to find a life partner. I just concluded there were no longer any good men out there and I needed to lower my standards.” As a man, all I can say is, “Ouch!”

Guys, our entire gender owes a debt of gratitude to Doug. Check this out: “I was instantly impressed by Doug's chivalry. Dating him was easy. Then loving him became easy too. There were no games. I never knew a relationship could be so mature. I knew I could count on him. He had all the qualities I always hoped for in my future husband and father of my children… He's kind, loyal, intelligent, adventurous, handsome and he makes me feel beautiful. He is also neat, organized and likes to clean. Talk about the jackpot. He also has the most amazing family. I feel tremendous gratitude to them for raising such a special human for me to one day meet.” Wow!

The feeling is mutual. (That’s kind of why we are here, you might be thinking. Duh, rabbi.) What I mean is that the feeling of easiness in this relationship is mutual. Doug says, “Not only was she beautiful, but we had great conversation. We mesh extremely well. Marcela has a kind heart and is very well liked and highly respected by everyone who knows her. She’s a good listener and an amazing person.”

What we wish for you, Marcela and Doug, is that this easiness stay with you for years to come. May the words of that love song from another interfaith couple, Minnie Riperton and Richard Rudolph, continue to define your relationship, “Lovin' you is easy, 'cause you're beautiful… Lovin' you is more than just a dream come true, and everything that I do is out of lovin' you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment