Saturday, September 4, 2021

One of Those Meant-To-Be Kind of Loves

Saturday evening, I officiated Lindzie and Eli’s wedding ceremony at The Olana, in Hickory Creek, Texas. Here are the remarks I shared with them and their guests:

They say truth is stranger than fiction. If Lindzie and Eli were fictional TV characters, and you wrote the script for the episode about how they met in the way it actually happened in real life, it wouldn’t fly. It would be returned with a note that said, “not realistic enough.”

Check this out. Lindzie says, “Eli and I met in a bar of all places. Considering Eli doesn’t drink it was pure luck and/or fate that we met at the Shark Bar in the Power and Light District of Kansas City that night.” Eli says, “I asked for her phone number, saved it as “Future Wife” in my phone, and texted her that night, hoping she got home safely. She didn’t respond for eight days…” Lindzie confirms this and adds, “After playing hard to get for 8 whole days I finally gave in and that’s where we begin the story of Eli and Lindzie.”

With that incredible story, it is probably unsurprising that Lindzie says, “I guess our relationship has always been one of those meant-to-be kind of loves.” In this she reflects a common Yiddish word and idea, Beshert. Like many Yiddish words, it has rich multiple meanings. It means meant to be, but also soulmate.

However, it goes much deeper. Rabbi Yisrael Pinson and Becky Hurvitz tell us, “The concept of beshert, for those who believe in it, is much more than finding love by being at the right place at the right time. It is, in essence, fulfilling your personal destiny, thereby playing your part in the destiny of the world.”

Destiny is a pretty heavy word. As an existentialist, I believe that fate happens to you. You randomly meet in a bar in Kansas City. Destiny is what you do with that fateful encounter. You turn that random encounter into a beautiful love story that culminates in today’s wedding.

This is reflected in Lindzie and Eli’s choice of today, specifically, to cement their relationship. Eli says, “I picked the date to ask her to marry me on the 13th anniversary of my grandfather’s passing. My desire was to grow something beautiful out of the worst tragedy of my life. I couldn’t imagine anyone more perfect to spend my life with.”

No comments:

Post a Comment