Thursday, June 1, 2023

My Home

Sunday evening (5/14), I officiated Amit and Jacob’s wedding ceremony at Anderson Terrace in Cedar Park, Texas. Here are the remarks I shared with them and their guests:

Just to give you a little peek behind the curtain, I ask every person I marry to write an autobiographical essay. These personal remarks draw on those essays and reading them helps me personalize the entire ceremony too. Amit and Jacob may be the first couple to hand in their essays double-spaced. I was impressed! 

Amit and Jacob’s story starts ten years ago! Amit says, “I met Jacob in 2013 at our high school in Florida. Jacob was never my type or the guy I ever saw myself falling in love with. He was the typical high school boy that kept breaking my heart and then chasing me back.” Yikes.

Now, if you are a perceptive kind of person, you understand that the story did not end there. We are, after all, at their wedding. Indeed, Amit continues, “There was something so special about him though. I strongly believe he is my soul mate. When we met, we both never thought our relationship would be anything but a high school fling. The years flew by and we went to prom together, moved to another state together, and here we are getting married.” 

What was the stumbling block in those initial phases of their relationship? Jacob, as every right-thinking American should, blames Florida. No, just partially, but can you blame him? Here is what he says: “We were off and on in high school mainly because I couldn’t settle down. I was never really comfortable in Florida and was always trying to improve my happiness which actually translates to I made a lot of mistakes. I always knew no one would treat me the way Amit did… Having Amit back was like finding the last puzzle piece the way she completed me.”

What was it that turned this relationship into more than a high school fling? The willingness, ability, and commitment to engage in mutual growth. Jacob says, “I believe Amit and I have a very mature relationship for our age… We’ve improved as people with each other as we grow… We work with each other to ensure we’re both happy and comfortable. We provide each other with a great support system so that we can both grow. I couldn’t see myself where I am now without Amit, and I know she feels the same about me.”

And Amit says, “I desire to marry Jacob because I have realized over the years that Jacob is my home. When I am around Jacob, I feel so calm and satisfied. Jacob sets a perfect example for how my parents always told me I should be treated by a man, no less than a princess. Jacob has been with me through so many challenges and happy moments in my life. He has motivated me to be the best version of myself and he has been my biggest support system. Jacob is kind, compassionate, and thoughtful. I desire to marry Jacob because there is no other person, I can imagine living the rest of my life with.”

No comments:

Post a Comment