Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Cheesy But True

Saturday evening, March 18, 2023, I officiated Nicole and David’s wedding ceremony at the Dallas/Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center in Plano, Texas. Here are the remarks I shared with them and their guests:

You really can’t beat the story of Nicole and David’s first date in late 2018. David seems to be damning with faint praise when he says, “Nicole made me laugh and didn't ghost me after meeting IRL, so that was a good start.” 

When you hear Nicole's description of that first date, David’s comment makes sense. I will try to get through the entire quote without laughing: “David suggested the bar, Twin Peaks, and I didn’t know what kind of establishment it was, AND he wore sweatpants… but somehow I looked past it and liked him.” 

Ladies, if any of YOU are unfamiliar with this eatery, it makes Hooters look respectable. Nicole may be the first person to refer to it as an “establishment”. If you wrote a first date scene like this in a screenplay, you would get a note back saying, “Not believable enough.” Incidentally, without overemphasizing the tired Mars/Venus dichotomy, no guy, even one unfamiliar with this specific chain, would have any doubt about its nature. I mean, the Tilted Kilt is ambiguous, but here the name kind of gives away the game…

Nicole says that from the beginning she found that they both shared a slightly inappropriate sense of humor. So, naturally, when I asked them to articulate why they want to get married, specifically now, I was unsurprised that Nicole said, “We’ve been together four years, it’s time to lock it in… Biological clock is ticking.” Nor was I surprised that David said, “We aren't getting any younger, and why not?” 

Now I know this is like my third aside, but David’s quote indicates that though he is not Jewish, he is definitely Jew-ish because he answers a question with a question. Why do Jews answer questions with questions? Why not?

Of course, as someone whose sense of humor could be categorized as having the potential to ruin a family gathering myself, I know that such humor usually hides within itself a deeper meaning. 

Nicole says, “I have always been excited about finding the love of my life and getting married… [However] until I met David, I don’t think I really knew what I wanted in a husband or even marriage. Thanks to David, I realize I am excited about a partner – someone who is there beside me each day, lifting me up when I need it, and there for me to lift up when he needs it. Together, we are 100% - always filling in the other person’s missing percentage. I am an extremely independent woman who fears having anyone do anything for me, but David has taught me I don’t have to be and that he is there without me even needing to ask.”

And here is the larger context of the quote from David I mentioned before: “I want to get married to Nicole because she is the person I want to spend my life with. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's true. She loves children and will make a great mother. We aren't getting any younger and why not… Nicole is the person I want to spend my life with as well as create a new life with… Life is precious and not as long as you think. I want to make the most of the limited time we have left on this rock, and I can’t imagine doing it with anyone else.”

No comments:

Post a Comment