Sunday, July 31, 2011

Love is a Mystery

Yesterday I officiated my first ever wedding in West Virginia. I co-officiated Jenna and Jason's wedding in Wheeling with Father Jim Sobus. Here are the personal remarks I shared with them and their friends.

Love is a mystery. Though scientists may be able to technically explain love, I feel they will never properly elucidate it. Now that may seem, at first blush, distressing, as mystery can be scary. We, as humans, desire first and foremost to understand our surroundings. After all, we are arguably the descendants of those who eons ago on the African savannah understood their environment, and were hence able to pass their genes down to us.

That said, I believe that mystery, at times, gets short shrift, and love will remain mysterious; its beauty being embedded in this very nature. Indeed, ask Jenna about Jason, and she will tell you, “I have never felt so loved in my entire life, and have never loved anyone like I love Jason. It is kind of hard to explain, but we just seem to click. He is the only person that truly understands me and knows what I am thinking at any second of any day.” Jason will, in turn tell you, “Jenna is the most important person in my life. The past nearly 3 years have been incredible for me... I have accomplished more personally and professionally with Jenna in my life than ever before… There are times where I look at Jenna and words can't express how much I love her.” It is clear, that this couple before us is not afraid of the mysterious. They lovingly and willingly embrace it, and are better for it.

So, Jenna and Jason, thank you. Thank you for reminding us to embrace the mysterious in our lives and our relationships. Continue to keep the mystery of love alive in your relationship. Relish it, thrive through it, and I have no doubt, your bond will remain absolutely unbreakable.

No comments:

Post a Comment