Monday, March 9, 2015

Find Wholeness Again

On Saturday 3/7, I officiated Rachel and Sam’s wedding ceremony at the Red Corrall Ranch in Wimberly, Texas. Here are the remarks I shared with them and their guests:

As a father of a daughter, I fully empathize with parents who feel like no one is good enough for their daughter. We are kind of programmed that way. That is why my first introduction to Rachel and Sam really stood out. Leasy, Rachel's mom, spoke about Rachel and Sam, and I have seldom heard a future mother-in-law speak SO glowingly about her future son-in-law. She didn't come out and SAY he walked on water, but she came darn near close. It was clear from her that Sam had had a wonderful and positive impact on Rachel.

So, I was definitely intrigued to see what this Jewish-mother-endorsed guy had going. Then I heard from Sam how equally appreciative he is of the impact Rachel had had on him. He too was effusive. He talked about how she had changed it his life, and given it new meaning. Rachel, of course, just reiterated what her mom had said about Sam's impact on her own life.

Don't take my word for it. Listen to just a little bit of what they have to say. Sam says, "With Rachel, I am motivated to take better care of myself, to work harder, to enjoy life again. She is patient, kind, and warm. I want to marry Rachel now because without her there is no me. I was not a whole person and now I am."

Rachel says, "He makes me so unbelievably happy that I want to share my life with him and be there for him while both of us fulfill our own needs and dreams. I want to continue to feel connected with him and continue to grow with him emotionally. Sam is my other half and brings peace to my crazy world."

Wow. That's kind of tough to follow. What they are each talking about is reminiscent of an ancient Jewish teaching, based on language used in the Second Creation Story in Genesis. This colorful teaching speaks of the primordial human created by the divine as a being with two sides and two faces, one male and one female. This mythical being is then split into two, and man and woman are the products of this divine surgery. Of course, the result of that is that we yearn for that one person, with whom we can find wholeness again. Well, clearly, with Rachel and Sam the search is over. They have put that divinely created puzzle back together. With that said, let's make just that official!

No comments:

Post a Comment