Monday, October 12, 2020

Carry On

Sunday afternoon, I officiated Megan and David’s wedding ceremony at W House, in Gun Barrel City, Texas. Here are the remarks I shared with them and their guests:

I always ask every couple to not only tell me how they met, but to write about it too. Some answers are more interesting and some are less, some tell you more about what was going on in the minds of the protagonists and some tell you less, some are well written and some, well, are not.

Fortunately, Megan and David’s answers score well on all these points! David writes, “I finally asked her on a date to go bowling, which she accepted. I picked her up and drove to Main Event. The bowling date itself was great, but then on the way back, I got a flat tire. I was embarrassed beyond imagination, and even had someone passing by help out. I thought to myself that she’d never want to talk to me or see me again. Thankfully, I was mistaken, and we’ve been together ever since.”

Now, Megan’s answer is also really funny in a very sweet way: “He asked me to go bowling. Our first date was 8-22-16. Of course, I got lost going there and went to the wrong place first. I was so embarrassed. I remember seeing his bowling stuff and was like, ‘Wow, he is a nerd!’ He also got me roses. Then he tried to show me how to play pool. We went and got Philly cheesesteak. When we were coming back, he got a flat tire. I actually felt bad for him and wished I could help him more. It was kinda funny.”

So, why do I like stories of how people met, especially when they are interesting, descriptive of the protagonists’ inner life, well written and funny? Well, aside from the fact that there is not enough good writing out there, many times it tells you a lot about the couple, beyond that specific moment in time. And, if you know Megan and David, I think you can see what I mean, when you hear them telling that story.

I also ask every couple why now is the right time for their wedding. Megan is utterly practical and very honest in her answer to why now, “We decided to get married now because we are ready. Also, I’m not getting younger and we would like to have a family.” Ok, then. David says, “Over the years, we’ve discussed marriage and agreed that 2-3 years was a good time frame.” 

Now, usually, asking why now is a pretty simple and innocent question. I never anticipated that there would be an additional layer to that question. Then again, none of us, unless any of you work at the CDC, or have seen Outbreak or Contagion too many times, could have imagined what is going on the world right now.

And here is where I find the second part of David’s answer instructive, “With everything going on in the world right now, it seems even more important to make sure we get married now instead of waiting.” Obviously, there are very few right or wrong answers to many of our questions right now. However, what Megan and David tell us is that while we should follow the science and always be safe, it is important that we carry on. That is a great lesson for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment